The Tower of Turmoil

CutterCross

So I've been preparing more stuff for NESmaker with NESst. I decided my first real project in NESmaker will be remaking my first PC game "The Legend of Takemaru", though I'll be renaming it to "The Tower of Turmoil" as I think that's a better name for it.

I've just finished up some sprites for the player character Takemaru. I'm going for a much different style than the original game. (Please excuse the white border that's around some of the pictures, I couldn't get a perfect crop.)

Standing/Attacking:
FjAAhke.png
Jumping/Jump Attacking:
a0JXl1h.png
Running:
PC8YDOA.png

Running + Attacking:
aMmESTS.png
Wall-Sliding/Attacking:
CYI6yho.png
Taking Damage/Death:
nAeyEj7.png

Sword Slash (Melee Object):
xog8thv.png

I managed to use more than 3 colors per metasprite by using an additional layered sprite for the face, making a total of 6 colors for the character. The sword slash is going to be placed in front of every "Attacking" frame of animation.

If you want to check out the original game, click here! https://cuttercross.itch.io/the-legend-of-takemaru

CutterCross

Gazimaluke said:
That looks really good. How is they layered face sprite done?
RLNM9Ys.png

Here's what the layered sprite looks like detached from the body. It's just placed over the body in a way that looks seamless. Now, I don't exactly know how I can actually pull this off in NESmaker, but I'll definitely experiment with this further when the platformer module is released.

Mihoshi20

I'm rather excited about this game as I really enjoyed the PC version and have been eager to see it fleshed out into more of an action playformer in the vein of megaman or ninja gaiden, only not nearly as punishingly brutal.

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
I'm rather excited about this game as I really enjoyed the PC version and have been eager to see it fleshed out into more of an action playformer in the vein of megaman or ninja gaiden, only not nearly as punishingly brutal.
Glad to hear you're excited! And I'm happy to hear you liked the original too! Although I can agree it wasn't very well designed, mostly because of my inexperience as a programmer back then. A lot of things didn't work as originally intended.

A more action platformer like Ninja Gaiden/Megaman is definitely what I'm working towards.

CutterCross

Here's the first iteration of The Tower of Turmoil! It's not much, but it's a start!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u6mlxRa3Bg&feature=youtu.be

I've still haven't been able to fix that music bug where one of the Pulse channels drops out when advancing to another screen with the same music, so I stop on the first screen for a while so you can hear what the song's SUPPOSED to sound like.
mf7sfZX.png
HQnllH0.png
nY8HBNS.png

I haven't been able to add in all the features I wanted yet. You can't attack enemies, the HUD's unfinished, and I haven't been able to implement a layered sprite for the player's face yet, so his head is transparent for now.

I'd appreciate any feedback or any tips and tricks on coding this stuff!

Last edited:

Bucket Mouse

CutterCross said:
I haven't been able to add in all the features I wanted yet. You can't attack enemies, the HUD's unfinished, and I haven't been able to implement a layered sprite for the player's face yet, so his head is transparent for now.

I'd appreciate any feedback or any tips and tricks on coding this stuff!
Someone on the NESMaker Facebook page figured out how to use weapons in the Platformer module. Go there and ask him how.

Also, there is a cheap way to use more than three colors in a sprite right now...just assign the top half to the second palette.

CutterCross

stevenshepherd said:
Looks great!
darbybtg said:
Looks amazing!
Thanks guys!

Bucket Mouse said:
Someone on the NESMaker Facebook page figured out how to use weapons in the Platformer module. Go there and ask him how.
I'll definitely have to look into that.
Bucket Mouse said:
Also, there is a cheap way to use more than three colors in a sprite right now...just assign the top half to the second palette.
Yeah I knew about that, it's just that it doesn't really work well with how my character's set up.

Mihoshi20

Not very sure how helpful or even useful this is but thought I'd toss it out there anyways as I was playing around today thinking about how close I could get the sprite to look as it should just using raw NESmaker and this is about as close as I could get. Also thought about how one of the unused effect game objects could be paired with a modified clone of the shoot at player script to act as a 'follow' sprite to fill in the rest of the face.

[1]ColorMatch.png

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
Not very sure how helpful or even useful this is but thought I'd toss it out there anyways as I was playing around today thinking about how close I could get the sprite to look as it should just using raw NESmaker and this is about as close as I could get. Also thought about how one of the unused effect game objects could be paired with a modified clone of the shoot at player script to act as a 'follow' sprite to fill in the rest of the face.

I tried your method of setting the player up last night, and while I think the standing animation looks pretty good, there's a lot of color bleeding on the other animations, specifically running.

7zVnm6X.png
FQZQIzb.png

Suprisingly, this method didn't take up much more space than my original tileset. Here's the original for reference:

7fHZtLg.png

I still think the layered sprite approach with the modified "shoot at player" script is the best choice. The problem for me however, is that I can't seem to figure out how to set it up, and I don't know how to call in a specific game object in asm.

I really appreciate you trying to help out though!

Top Bottom