When the Clock Hands Stall

drexegar

Ahh yes the clock, it can scroll! is the game about a guy who uses a grandfather clock as a melee weapon? lol

Very cool man!

CutterCross

drexegar said:
Ahh yes the clock, it can scroll! is the game about a guy who uses a grandfather clock as a melee weapon? lol

Very cool man!

You'll just have to find out when the competition ends ;)

And thanks!

drexegar

CutterCross said:
drexegar said:

Very cool man!

You'll just have to find out when the competition ends ;)

And thanks!

but I want to know now! Your chrono trigger style clock leaves so many questions unanswered! lol

CutterCross

drexegar said:
but I want to know now! Your chrono trigger style clock leaves so many questions unanswered! lol

That's the point ;)

And yeah, Chrono Trigger was a pretty big inspiration for the title sequence.

Mihoshi20

Looking amazing so far. Love the title and start button fade ins, creative use of monster animations you're known for or did you use the built in fader? Either way, looking kickass. The clock also reminds me of the grandfather clock in Maniac Mansion, a game I played and still play way too much of. Keep up the good work!

CutterCross

Mihoshi20 said:
Looking amazing so far. Love the title and start button fade ins, creative use of monster animations you're known for or did you use the built in fader? Either way, looking kickass. The clock also reminds me of the grandfather clock in Maniac Mansion, a game I played and still play way too much of. Keep up the good work!

Everything that animates/fades in is made using monster/game object animations. I don't even know how to get the fader to work! Haha, thanks a lot!

dale_coop said:
Pffff impressive, CutterCross!
Thanks man, for sharing that intro/teaser <3
Gilbertmaxter said:
Wow beautiful :)

Get ready to see more in a couple weeks ;)

Mugi

the chrono trigger clock simulator for nes. Im in! :p
just kidding, this looks really cool, but it really also works as a teaser, because the screen practically gives no indication whatsoever of what kind of game it is or what is it about.

as for the fades, i've started looking into that but im not really sure how it works yet either.
there's a macro in the code base called beginfade.asm which takes a whole load of arguments to do things, some set in constants and some not, and what's in constants/zeropage for this, seems to be disabled (atleast in 4.1.4) so i dont think it's operational as it is without some further poking.

CutterCross

Mugi said:
just kidding, this looks really cool, but it really also works as a teaser, because the screen practically gives no indication whatsoever of what kind of game it is or what is it about.

as for the fades, i've started looking into that but im not really sure how it works yet either.
there's a macro in the code base called beginfade.asm which takes a whole load of arguments to do things, some set in constants and some not, and what's in constants/zeropage for this, seems to be disabled (atleast in 4.1.4) so i dont think it's operational as it is without some further poking.

There's a reason why I'm not revealing any gameplay yet ;) (aside from the fact that I'm still working on mechanics, haha). Trying to get some hype built up.

Joe showed off the beginfade macro in a pre-release video, but it seems he disabled that functionality from day 1 since it probably took up too much ROM space.

Mihoshi20

Mugi said:

I believe that the face macros are currently broken. A lot of the constants related to it don't seem even hooked up as I've recently been going through the constants and removing old, redundant, and left overs from mystic searches that aren't used or hooked up and a lot of the fade related constants when commented out don't affect assembly at all. Currently only testing the axed constants...(and there was a lot) against the 'adventure module' but I have plans to test against all modules as I build a more universal codebase and comment all aspects and functions of the engine.

Mihoshi20

CutterCross said:
justadude said:
can somebody explain how the fudge did you make that cutscene?

I've made a whole video showing how I made the cutscenes for another game of mine, The Tower of Turmoil.

This game pretty much uses those same techniques, but with scrolling involved.

If I had to take a guess and shot in the dark... I'd say you're still using skip start screen and build your own start screen after loading the intro cutscenes then holds on title screen waiting for a start button press or release before teleporting to where the first level starts or the screen that starts another cutscene which is a really smart way to do it.

Mugi

Mihoshi20 said:
I believe that the face macros are currently broken. A lot of the constants related to it don't seem even hooked up as I've recently been going through the constants and removing old, redundant, and left overs from mystic searches that aren't used or hooked up and a lot of the fade related constants when commented out don't affect assembly at all. Currently only testing the axed constants...(and there was a lot) against the 'adventure module' but I have plans to test against all modules as I build a more universal codebase and comment all aspects and functions of the engine.

you're pretty close with this. it turns out that a bunch of code is missing from the whole thing making the macro do nothing even if you restore all the variables and assemblies that are present (atleast in 4.1.4),
even though it does compile assuming you have enough space in 1F to place it there..

oh well....
https://youtu.be/iJdS3-Xb0uM

Mihoshi20

Mugi said:
Mihoshi20 said:

you're pretty close with this. it turns out that a bunch of code is missing from the whole thing making the macro do nothing even if you restore all the variables and assemblies that are present (atleast in 4.1.4),
even though it does compile assuming you have enough space in 1F to place it there..

oh well....
https://youtu.be/iJdS3-Xb0uM

Hmm, I need to look more into this apparently. Great to see it actually working in some way shape or form. Also loving your dev environment too. I thought about going with a darker theme or more of a 'cyber'-like theme as I had with GameMaker but decided to better match my Linux theme. Many thanks for the heads up on the fades though.

Top Bottom