Dimension Shift

Mugi

rimoJO said:
Wow! This looks very, very good, and I can't wait to try it someday!
...because the link in the first post is broken.
But the game is amazing!
Also, NESM has a dark mode?

it just gets colored dark because that's how my windows looks like.

I dont think i'll release many more demos of the game, atleast not in a while, before we''re getting this game further done.
since the plan is to eventually release it.

There will propably be another demo at some point showcasing more of the weapon systems etc, but it's still a long ways before that.

Mugi

you can grab the byte off demo rom from the finished games and demos thread.
thats the most complete one at the moment.

http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2332

Mugi

CONVEYOR BELTS!

anim.gif

Mugi

okay the tileset is now done.
here's how Stage 3 "Facility" might look like (not an actual stage, just for display purposes.)

stage3_test_screen.gif

Raftronaut

Wow. I had no idea that this thread existed! I only popped into the wip section for the first yesterday and spent the better part of my leisure reading for day going over the DS production notes here. It's really great that you're sharing your notes here Mugi, I am sure this will be helpful/inspiring to other artists/programmers coming up.

This last round of updates is especially visually appealing, I am really into those animated water tanks (not sure what you're calling those) near and around the conveyor belts. Those were a great atmospheric addition.

I love the fade to black approach in general on the NES, I've never attempted much with it, but out of all the approaches to background perspectives it seems to offer the most depth. You've demonstrated a seemingly very intimate knowledge with the technique, you always give me a lot to think about when I look at some of your frames. Have you had a lot of previous experience working with Pixels? Or are you simply just applying lessons from other design/illustration areas?

Brilliant work as always, pouring through these cumulative production notes all at once was a real treat :)

Bravo!

Mugi

this is actually the first project of mine where im doing more pixel art than just trying to randomly doodle up something.
i love pixel art but i've never tried to really do anything with it before :p

im still working on generic updates to the tile sheet, and in all likelihood the white ceiling tiles will be removed simply because they eat too much space, but yeah... the general look of the thing is something of the like
here's a current draft mockup (still changing)

stage3_mockup_no_ceiling_tiles.png

Raftronaut

Is the "01" a floor number? The use of color there to indicate "off" quartz display cells is incredible (not sure how else to describe that).

Was that floor level display influenced by anything specific? Or did you just find it a necessary detail to include? I love much it stands out against the blue/green of the level. The elevator doors look great too, the two color reflection on the surface is a great touch.

top notch ;)

Mugi

the floor number is placed in the SSchr, and it will be reloaded on each floor, so it actually displays the number of the floor you are in.
the elevator itself will be a one-screen "room" that will have a floor selector to surf between the floors of the stage.
the elvator is sorta like my stage select screen in that sense, that it'll just have a cursor selector for selecting the floor.
it will also be created using our new menu engine so it will be drawn using a full separate chr file, in 8x8 tile mode for extra visual goodness.

here's how the chr ram looks like with all the tile variations in it.
this tileset uses 4 ram banks for animations and has a total of 10 SSchr (screentiles) that are used for reloading the floor number.

chr_alltiles.png

Mugi

here's some conveyor belts that are..... conveyoring? :p

Still some work to do with them but it's getting along.

https://youtu.be/_pJtnNd6_1Q

Mugi

This really gave me a brainfart but now the conveyor belts work like they should :)

conveyor belt tilecode is available from community tutorials subforum: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&p=18153#p18153

https://youtu.be/LWhVTddbecY

Top Bottom