Dimension Shift

Mugi

oh well, back to the forum then, apparently facebook will not allow me to use an account without a phone number, which they are not getting, so they can keep their crappy service.
that just means no more video updates for now, since youtube has some issues with uploads not being randomly visible.

anyway, as far as what happened in development (as i wrote in FB before the whole account was locked out) we implemented graphics compression which cut our space usage to approximately half of what it was,
allowing me to put in a lot more stuff for cutscenes and whatnot extra little tidbits.

sans that, new feature upgrades include;

- changing player color when submerged in water
- health platforms will now display the cost of healing
- breakable boxes work aside from the changing graphic (changetile macro doesnt work with our way of handling nametables so we'll have to deal with that later on)
- updates to the cavern tileset (animated waterfalls, little cosmetic fixes to the rock tiles)

Im currently working on rebuilding the cavern stage and we're slowly working up actual game play features such as making objects work, adding projectiles, fixing the rest of the engine code and whatnot.

game_055.pnggame_056.pnggame_054.png

Dirk

I don't know exactly what youtube problems did occur, but have you considered uploading videos to vimeo?

Mugi

it's just a temporary thing, happens from time to time. it's just irritating really.
basically you just upload something and it will be stuck saying video is not available for undefined amount of time.
i'll get back to it eventually

Dirk

Okay, that's annoying. I never upload to youtube, but if heard from youtubers there have been various problems in the last few months.
Hope they'll figure it out soon, I'm always looking forward to your videos :)
I can't remember at the moment, do you normally post your videos unlisted?

Mugi

generally the dimensionshift videos are unlisted, i just post them here, so most of the stuff in this topic too are unlisted.. i think there's 2 or 3 public videos i made about the game..
i was gonna share some more stuff on the facebook account i made for the game but it seems that it's been completely erased now for some unknown reason. i cant log into it without giving them a phone number and
all the comments and posts i made just dissappeared from the nesmakers group too from what i can see, so no sharing there i guess.
i cant even find a way to contact them to ask whats going on and there's no way in hell i will let facebook spy my phone number so they can forget ever getting that.

Mugi

well in any case, here's the video i posted in FB earlier today, since youtube is approving again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laR1IGdHO3c

this one displays the current state of the intro and stage select, which are more or less complete (sounds are still wip)
and the new additions listed above, Mari will now turn blue when submerged, health cost display etc etc.

Dirk

I made a facebook account for my NESmaker game too, but I got blocked and had to provide my phone number. I got a throwaway sim card and provided the number. That wasn't enough. They wanted a picture of my face. I didn't want to upload one so my account stays blocked. I wonder if they would've asked for a picture of my passport next.
I guess the same would've happened to you too.

Same thing happened when I registered a twitter account. I got immediately blocked and they asked for my phone number. I contacted support and got unblocked without providing my number.
I guess that's not possible with facebook. They loooove your data.

Mugi

yeah....
it's a real shame this community is so stuck in facebook really, it's the most stupid media possible for this sort of thing, but can't be helped i guess..

Dirk

Mugi said:
it's a real shame this community is so stuck in facebook really, it's the most stupid media possible for this sort of thing

Yes, I agree.

I have a question regarding your video. When the player jumps through a waterfall, does he get dragged down a bit? I couldn't quite tell from watching.

Mugi

not really dragged down, but touching water cuts your movement speed in half, same applies to waterfalls, so jumping through them cuts your forward inertia.
i was considering of removing it from the waterfalls actually, but it kinda adds a new element to the platforming in the cavern stages so it will propably stay for now atleast.

dragging down is an interesting idea, i might have to toy with that.

Dirk

Nice :)

I think it's an interesting mechanic. For me it feels like it gives the player a bit more weight. You also have to adapt your jumping, so it adds some variety.
Maybe you could make background waterfalls just for aesthetics and foreground ones that slow you down.

Mugi

i considered that but i would have to get a new palette for that to differentiate them, and im out of options in that regard :p
i might tinker with the idea though...

edit: well, here's one attempt at it :p

game_068.png

Dirk

Oh, that looks nice. I like the purple color.

You could also keep the palette, but make new tiles. I made a quick mock-up where I shifted the lightest and second lightest color one tone down.
Of course you'd need more space in your tile set.

mugi_waterfall.png

I think both look good, but the purple waterfall has the benefit of no additional costs and I think it looks pretty good too, but purple is one of my favorite colors, so I'm biased :)

Mugi

The mockup looks nice but there is no space for it.
The waterfall uses a minimum of 3 metatiles, and maximum Of 6 if the splashing to the water is accounted. Current status of tileset has 0%free space. Same deal with the blue color, it could be done with just a second palette but no can do :p

Thats why i just went with the purple.

Dirk

Mugi said:
Current status of tileset has 0%free space.

I thought maybe you'd have some space left over, after you managed to compress your tiles (if I haven't misunderstood you), but I'm not surprised you use every last pixel and bit in your ambitious game ^^

Mugi

compression doesnt let you use more tiles on a tileset, it just takes less space when included to the rom, so I can make more tilesets.

Mugi

okay, cavern stage is done, time to move to the next one...
im sure people remember the temple from the byte off demo AHH its so awesome the walls are illuminated by the flame blahh blahhhh, BOOORIIIING...

DimensionShift_v0.05_001.png

that tileset had more issues than drunk Yeltsin after 5 vodkas, so here's Temple tiles, MK II

1.gif

more shading, more animation, better beams, MORE FIRE!, off goes the stupid rock tiles I never even used lol.
2 different types of wall grab-tiles etc etc... this will make things look more fun :)

Dirk

Always a joy to see new material from you :)
I hope the upcoming kickstarters will be spread a bit, I don't want to go broke so fast XD

Top Bottom