Unique death per monster

Tishero

I need help figuring out how to set up a different death animation per monster especially for bosses.

Considering that the tutorials have all used a Game Object for the death effect, I'd imagine you would need a specific Game Object (Death Effect) for each Monster type. Not sure there's yet a way to change a generic death object on the fly for a per-monster basis.

Unless, maybe, you modify the Monster death scripting to call a special Action State on the existing Monster Object, rather than switching in the Death Game Object? I'm afraid I don't know the coding to do that, though.

dale_coop

Staff member
westcoastvagabond, it's exactly that.
Tishero, you could use different Action Steps of the current Monster Death Animation object... (customizing the monster hurt/death scripts to create the death object with an action step corresponding to the type of monster).
Or you could also, use an Action Step of the monster, ...
Or yes, different death objects (if they have different sizes)...

Tishero

I have figured it out with a little help from CutterCross! All that needed to be done was change DeactivateCurrentObject to ChangeObjectState #$07, #$02 in the HandleHurtMonster.asm to have the death as an action

Tishero

One thing I noticed, is when you replace DeactivateCurrentObject the monster locks stop workomg

dale_coop

Staff member
Exact, because your monster object is still here.
Or you should also, make the monster object no more a "monster" (not just change its state / action step), doing something like:
Code:
	LDA Object_flags,x
	AND #%11110111  ;; remove the "monster" flag of the object
	STA Object_flags,x

Top Bottom