Dale Coop 2-Player Platformer Module Win Screen Reset Issue

vanderblade

This is very specific to my current project, but it might help out others in the future.

I'm using the great Dale Coop's 2-player platformer module. I am in the finishing stages of game dev -- it's really great, y'all -- but I just encountered a bug after play-testing the entire game all morning.

My Win screen reset script no longer works. Neither Simplereset.asm or GameOverReset.asm scripts I'm using are working. It doesn't matter what button I assign it to.

What's weird is that my Game Over screen resets just fine.

Dale is essentially my co-developer -- he gets top credits in the game -- but I'll leave this open to anybody.

dale_coop

Staff member
Hmmm... strange.
Could you share a screenshot of your "Input Editor" window (the assignments to buttons)?

TurtleRescueNES

Silly questions out of the way...

Do your Simplereset.asm or GameOverReset.asm scripts actually have content or are they blank?
Are you truly in the final win game special screen, or are you in a regular screen pretending to be the win game?

If the above checks out, are you doing something to the gamestates variables to make the game not think its in its final screen? Like did you modify the Win script?

vanderblade

Forget about the GameOverReset.asm, since that only works on the special game over screen. Let's concentrate on SimpleReset. Yes, I'm on the Win screen. Below is the script. I suspect that something is messing with a variable, but I'll have to study recent changes I've made.

Code:
	CPX player1_object
	BNE +
	JMP RESET
+

TurtleRescueNES

What if you got rid of everything except the JMP Reset?

The code is checking if you are player 1, and you may have destroyed that object as part of your win game script.

vanderblade

That seems to have worked. What does the BNE + mean? Am I potentially messing anything up by doing that?

Top Bottom