A Zelda 1 remake?

To All Who Read This Post,

I love the Legend Of Zelda, and the NES original is not only my favorite game in the series,
but is also, in my opinion, one of the greatest games to ever grace the NES. Which is why I am
all the more perplexed at why no one seems to be trying to remake it! Right now, we have an
understanding of the system's capabilities that even Nintendo themselves didn't have back then,
as well as a tool made specifically to work within those capabilities, and push them to their
limits. You couldn't make money off of it, of course, but just think about the possibilities!

You could give Zelda 1 a major overhaul! Improving the graphics, sound, and even adjusting
in-game content to better fit with the series lore! You could even change the overworld item
locations, dungeon item locations, even the overworld and dungeon layouts themselves!
Different enemy placements, fixing glitches, hell, if there was enough space, you could add
new content! Imagine that!

Anyway, it's just an idea, and although I think it would be a fun game to play, I know that there
will be some who think this would be an absolutely terrible idea, especially given Nintendo's
track record with fan projects. Still, a guy can dream can't he?

Sincerely,

TheGamerInPajamas

Mihoshi20

TheGamerInPajamas said:
To All Who Read This Post,

I love the Legend Of Zelda, and the NES original is not only my favorite game in the series,
but is also, in my opinion, one of the greatest games to ever grace the NES. Which is why I am
all the more perplexed at why no one seems to be trying to remake it! Right now, we have an
understanding of the system's capabilities that even Nintendo themselves didn't have back then,
as well as a tool made specifically to work within those capabilities, and push them to their
limits. You couldn't make money off of it, of course, but just think about the possibilities!

You could give Zelda 1 a major overhaul! Improving the graphics, sound, and even adjusting
in-game content to better fit with the series lore! You could even change the overworld item
locations, dungeon item locations, even the overworld and dungeon layouts themselves!
Different enemy placements, fixing glitches, hell, if there was enough space, you could add
new content! Imagine that!

Anyway, it's just an idea, and although I think it would be a fun game to play, I know that there
will be some who think this would be an absolutely terrible idea, especially given Nintendo's
track record with fan projects. Still, a guy can dream can't he?

Sincerely,

TheGamerInPajamas

Better yet, you could create a game inspired by zelda 1 that is legally distinct. I for one plan to make an adventure type game with an overworld and underworld where you fight your way through the dungeon to place the fragment of the hero at the end for a later hero to come along and find to put together into the amulet of courage.

Whale Cancer

While it doesn't do everything you want, there is a Zelda randomizer which will randomize various elements of the original game so you can play through it. Also, hacking a ROMs graphics is very doable.

Not exactly what your concept is, but those two things can let one get a lot more mileage out of the original Zelda.

slobu

I think taking the base core and making a Zelda-esque game is a great idea to start with. The idea being moving further and further from the tutorials and into your own original ideas.

So, in that spirit I'll definitely start with a single screen platformer and Zelda-eqsue homage.

You seem excited by modding the actual Zelda, though. There are plenty of tools on ROMhacking.net to do that. Probably take less time to learn than re-creating it with NES Maker.

Yeah just stay way from the name and character(s). Make your own based on it if needed. We all know how Nintendo is. While Sega praise their fans when making fan base projects, Nintendo love putting fan base stuff into the grave.

Jonny

Its not a bad idea but I can understand why most people would not want to do this. The first Zelda on NES was probably brought out when memory was relatively expensive by comparison to later NES titles. The graphics, sounds etc could definately be improved. If its for fun / to share between friends, then maybe its worth the time and effort. However, eventually it will find itself online and I think a project like this would get a lot of attention, maybe from Nintendos lawyers. I know this is worse case scenario and unlikely but putting your heart and soul into something just to get sued is enough to put most people off.

Sorry to agree with everyone else and be a nay'er but I think the time and effort would be better put into something else. Let Nintendo deal with their own remakes on switch. I think they already remade a gameboy zelda game, wouldn't be surprised if they remade first Zelda. I know it would'nt be a NES game.

If you feel passionate about it then why not make a demo just of the first few screens or something, then asses whether its worth the time?

PasseGaming

Naw, you wouldn't get sued, unless your trying to make money off of it. Then you are taking money from their Pockets. You could get a cease and desist, its doubtful.

You're best bet is to make a zelda-like game with none of Nintendos IP's and you wont get bothered. It could literally be the same exact game, just without Nintendos IP and they wont care. That way you live the dream of making a zelda game without stepping on any toes.

3d Dot Game Heroes was more or less a Zelda game and Nintendo could have cared less. It was released for the PS3.

dale_coop

Staff member
On the forum or FB or anywhere on internet... don't share anything made with NESmaker that is not your IP (it would be against NESmaker's rules)
You can use "inspirations", same kind of vibe, same kind of characters, but don't use the same graphics or the same names...

mouse spirit

Yes im sure we all have cool ideas based on stuff that is not our i.p., but nesmaker does not ever want to be associated in any way with doing stuff like that. Thats all. If you have those cool ideas,like me, youre not evil, buuuuut we should all keep it to ourselves. So no one ever gets the impression that nesmaker is for easily stealing old ip's.
As it can, simply because of the type of tool it is.

An analogy .....
Guns dont wanna be associated with murdering innocents, as they help hunt and protect against brutes.
Stupid analogy, but im sure you understand.
(i know, guns were probly made to kill innocents....)

Nesmaker can be used for that, but it can sour the true purpose, which is to help us all create.
Even though Super Mario Bros. 4, or Super Mario Girls, obviously needs to be made.

that makes sense in it's right, which I was going to do a fan game till I found out I should probably find some other game making program for the job. The name of the game was going to be based off of the book I was writing one that needs prayers. The name of the game was simply going to be 'The Catholic Jedi's'. I haven't really gotten farther on it but I was wondering if I could show you some pictures for it? And if it's alright I'll show them. :)

Last edited:

mouse spirit

I think talking about making games with already owned intilectual properties is frowned on here,
mainly just to keep the NESmaker name clean.
No offense to anyone's cool ideasor fun parodies.

but If you like I do have game that isn't based off of a fanfic and more original. And if you want we can also talk about that as well. It's called the angel of Christmas and it based off of a book I wrote for a Christmas writing contest and it feature's a character of my own known as Lekl. She's an eskimo child who finds a poor girl and helps her out to get rewarded later. :) (y)

Top Bottom