Get Ready to Party... Turtle PARTY! (New Fall 2021 Demo!)

TurtleRescueNES

This game has been a long time coming, and FINALLY, I can proudly announce and share with you the latest installment in the Turtle Rescue family of games:

TURTLE PARTY!

I won't say any more about it here. There's a readme included with the game ROM file.

Enjoy and please report any issues here!

8/3: Uploaded v2 -- Removed solid tile in ice fishing game.
8/11: Uploaded v3 -- Fixed Up+Attack bug; whirlwind bounding box
9/19: Uploaded v4 -- Minor update - fixed some bad text

DOWNLOAD LINK HERE:
DOWNLOAD 2021 DEMO

Attachments

• Twitter20200731.jpg
    Twitter20200731.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 1,815
Last edited:

TurtleRescueNES

Yan said:
there are so many mini games and all of them are fun :lol:

24ish mini-games in the preview edition, and the plan is to have about 100 when I take this full-scale!
The infrastructure is all there. Just have to push my creativity! :)

mouse spirit

Very fun! I enjoyed it all.
There was a solid tile in the ice fish game,seemed like it should have been walkable.

TurtleRescueNES

mouse spirit said:
Very fun! I enjoyed it all.
There was a solid tile in the ice fish game,seemed like it should have been walkable.

Woah! Great catch! That would freeze Player 2 right in his tracks!
I've fixed and uploaded a new downloadable file!

Thanks! :D

TurtleRescueNES

CutterCross said:
Got serious Warioware vibes from this, just a bit slower paced. Well done man!

Coming from you, that means a lot! :D

I tried really hard to have as fast of a pace as possible, but NES slowdown has been my biggest foe. I fought that battle on many levels, and there may still be some room for improvement.

dale_coop

Staff member
Glad you made something out of it ;)
I know there are several (a lot?) of issues and limitations... But you game is very fun, I am so happy to play a new game with Toby :)

mouse spirit

Oh my goodness i can throw so many shells! How is this possible? If its a trade secret or the answer is incredibly involved, i understand and no need to cover it.

TurtleRescueNES

mouse spirit said:
Oh my goodness i can throw so many shells! How is this possible? If its a trade secret or the answer is incredibly involved, i understand and no need to cover it.

Not much magic involved, and there is a seashell limit in place. It will become more obvious in the two player modes.

mouse spirit

Gotchya. Yeah i was surprised about having no slowdown, very good. Also this tiny crab i just found
is ridiculously cute. Well done! Although on the DK style level, i yoyo'd with 3 seconds left and my turtle froze
with the yoyo string out and if i remember right my yoyo flew off! Was this intentional?! Because i need a new yoyo now!

TurtleRescueNES

mouse spirit said:
Gotchya. Yeah i was surprised about having no slowdown, very good. Also this tiny crab i just found
is ridiculously cute. Well done! Although on the DK style level, i yoyo'd with 3 seconds left and my turtle froze
with the yoyo string out and if i remember right my yoyo flew off! Was this intentional?! Because i need a new yoyo now!

Combating slowdown was the biggest challenge with this type of game.

The yoyo thing is surprising to hear. That's not supposed to happen.

mouse spirit

Haha ok well it happened. And then the next level i couldnt use my yoyo so i did quit.I will try to recreate this. and gif wrap it for you.
But the next level maybe didnt use a yoyo anyway.

I made it seem more dramatic....
ignore the score.gif

So i went up there, yoyo'd a bunch, but actually was pressing up and down and whatever.
My guess is in the UP / UP and Hit script on those times where my turtle cant face up.
Also if im right that your turtle with string is player graphic and the yoyo is the melee weapon, then it
looks like your state is getting stuck possibly before returning to normal idle turtle state.

I am not able to UP Hit on a ladder, and when i achieved the 'Houdini's top secret yoyo trick' trick on TOP of a ladder,
i could revert it by sliding down the ladder when my turtle was frozen.
(yes, this glitch is called the 'Houdini's top secret yoyo trick' trick.)

TurtleRescueNES

mouse spirit said:
Haha ok well it happened. And then the next level i couldnt use my yoyo so i did quit.I will try to recreate this. and gif wrap it for you.
But the next level maybe didnt use a yoyo anyway.

I made it seem more dramatic....
ignore the score.gif

So i went up there, yoyo'd a bunch, but actually was pressing up and down and whatever.
My guess is in the UP / UP and Hit script on those times where my turtle cant face up.
Also if im right that your turtle with string is player graphic and the yoyo is the melee weapon, then it
looks like your state is getting stuck possibly before returning to normal idle turtle state.

I am not able to UP Hit on a ladder, and when i achieved the 'Houdini's top secret yoyo trick' trick on TOP of a ladder,
i could revert it by sliding down the ladder when my turtle was frozen.
(yes, this glitch is called the 'Houdini's top secret yoyo trick' trick.)

Thanks! I was able to recreate. I'll have to see what I can do with the inputs to stop that from happening. UP is supposed to be turned off for screens with gravity (except ladders), and up+attack is not supposed to be a thing. So maybe I just have to set an animation end to that attack state.

You are correct that the yoyo and string are two separate things. The yoyo itself is a true melee object while the sting is just a drawsprite.

Top Bottom