Resource Sharing

WolfMerrik

I have not yet got into even using paths yet, but its a really awesome idea, and works really effectively. That might be the next thing I start trying to learn.

WolfMerrik

darkhog said:
Can you make it so downloading stuff won't need an account, only uploading?

There are several reasons why I want to continue to do this the way it is. It is, I promise, very quick and painless to register though.

MistSonata

WolfMerrik said:
darkhog said:
Can you make it so downloading stuff won't need an account, only uploading?

There are several reasons why I want to continue to do this the way it is. It is, I promise, very quick and painless to register though.

Could you expand on this? I'm curious about exactly what reasons you'd have to make it registered users only.

WolfMerrik

@MistSonata - Mainly to just give it a sense of community, users can comment on files/rate files. This helps to get a better sense of knowing if the files uploaded even work, it lets the author/creator possible get to see how they are being used, even giving them a sense of accomplishment in sharing what they added to the community. It also helps encourage people to come back, and possibly share some of their resources themselves.

I do understand people may have privacy concerns, and I suppose I can always make a "nag" screen stating the above listed "why" I would encourage people to register when downloading as a guest, that I think at least would make things open a bit more, and provides a fair compromise in my opinion.

I am curious if you think that works, and what you think, I definitely respect your posts and contributions to the NESMaker community, so definitely hit me back =P

@darkhog - I am curious what you mean by this, I don't know what that means or how it pertains to me. Sharing an article would be awesome and I would appreciate it.

WolfMerrik

Well, the nag screen and guest download worked (for me), it also stores a value for guest downloads, I suppose, this at least does still add to the "ranking" of a file via popularity, which although not providing feedback, does still take away some of my concerns with open downloads. so that is something.

MistSonata

Well, the way I'm seeing it, between this forum and the Facebook group, NESmaker isn't exactly wanting for a thriving community. The ability to have a searchable asset sharing site is the bigger need. I totally understand requiring registration for stuff like uploading, rating, commenting, etc, as that's pretty standard for deterring troublemakers, but if you're not contributing to the website it seems a little superfluous, especially if you just need a quick asset and feel like the forums and facebook group are satisfying your social needs just fine. I'd recommend allowing downloads to unregistered users and just encouraging people to register and participate on the download screen or something.

WolfMerrik

I was unaware of the facebook group, although I do not use facebook myself so this is probably why haha.
I do see your point about it being somewhat undeeded for people to register if they are just downloading a file, and will leave it open to all with the nag message.

MistSonata

WolfMerrik said:
I was unaware of the facebook group, although I do not use facebook myself so this is probably why haha.
I do see your point about it being somewhat undeeded for people to register if they are just downloading a file, and will leave it open to all with the nag message.

Good to hear! I'm sure plenty of people will want to register to share the stuff they've made.

WolfMerrik

MistSonata said:
Good to hear! I'm sure plenty of people will want to register to share the stuff they've made.

I hope so, I had started working on some Background/Object graphics for my game this week, I am putting some of them that I feel would be universal or usable by others on there today!

I am loving making Pixel art honestly, its a lot harder than I expected haha

WolfMerrik

darkhog said:
WolfMerrik, just google GDPR.

Well yes, that is what I do when I want to know what something is, which I did. I am just curious about which ways you think the laws/etc of GDPR would affect this? If there is something I should watch out for, I would want to make changes.

darkhog

Basically you should refrain from collecting any info that isn't absolutely necessary to provide the service or you may find to be liable. Not going to sue you over that or anything, but there are bone heads who would, that's why we have "right to be forgotten" which is IMO truly awful BS - because some French dimwit with criminal past sued Google over showing articles related t that past, took it all the way to EU courts and won. And Google has resources to fight a case like that, you probably don't even have enough to pay the punitive fee that would be given if you would be found guilty of any (real or not, remember, right to be forgotten case) wrongdoings, that fee is big enough to bankrupt even average-sized company and few bigger ones.

WolfMerrik

darkhog said:
Basically you should refrain from collecting any info that isn't absolutely necessary to provide the service or you may find to be liable. Not going to sue you over that or anything, but there are bone heads who would, that's why we have "right to be forgotten" which is IMO truly awful BS - because some French dimwit with criminal past sued Google over showing articles related t that past, took it all the way to EU courts and won. And Google has resources to fight a case like that, you probably don't even have enough to pay the punitive fee that would be given if you would be found guilty of any (real or not, remember, right to be forgotten case) wrongdoings, that fee is big enough to bankrupt even average-sized company and few bigger ones.

Well, in this case, it uses a verification of the email to ensure that the email is valid for the purpose of account password recovery, in this case under Art 6 GDPR section b, we are covered that this is required for the account, also section c has us covered as well. Being that the email sent is for confirmation of this account service, this covers us with a confirmed Opt-in for account recovery services before the account is fully created. Although IF I were to send out other emails I would be misusing this information, however, I have no intent to do so. IF I were to create another notification option (like email notifications) I would create a separate opt-in/out service for this as well.

As far as I can tell, it's all being done fine, although I should include a general privacy policy on the site to make this all clearer. I never really thought to do it, but it's usually a good safe way to cover my butt, so I probably should haha.

darkhog

It's dead.

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getAccess() on boolean in /home/w01f/nesmaker/modules/categories.php:144 Stack trace: #0 /home/w01f/nesmaker/modules.php(36): include() #1 /home/w01f/nesmaker/index.php(14): include('/home/w01f/nesm...') #2 {main} thrown in /home/w01f/nesmaker/modules/categories.php on line 144

Happens when going into any category.

WolfMerrik

Makes sense, I didn't fix the checks on empty categories to see if a user has the privilege to delete that category I changed the way "guests" work, and it messed a few things up haha. It was meant to be a quick fix anyway.... apparently, one that only half worked.
You said it happened in any category?

Top Bottom