NESmaker 4.0.11 - UI/UX Suggestion - Monster/GameObjects

Mihoshi20

A few quick suggestions for reorganizing the Monster/GameObjects interface to make it easier to understand the relation to everything.

This first one is a rearranging of the primary dialog to group everything together in better relation to what they change or effect.

[A] MonsterGraphics.png

This second one is a consolidation of the Animation Manager to better relate and hopefully better lead to understanding of the dialog where you setup the labels for the animations you make in the main dialog and then assign to animation types.

[B] ManageAnimations.png

The third is a swap of the Action Steps Flags and Animation Speed sections to better relate to their appropriate section. Flags under the Actions Steps and Animation Speed under the Action properties.

[C] MonsterObjectDetails.png

TheGeek

I just saved the link to this thread in my TODO list. Comments like this are so helpful to me. As a developer, I focus first on the functionality and then if I have time, I try to make it feel cleaner. Many times though, I just get so used to what buttons do what that I don't even recognize how it might be annoying for other folks. I dig it!

Thanks again!
--Josh

Mihoshi20

TheGeek said:
I just saved the link to this thread in my TODO list. Comments like this are so helpful to me. As a developer, I focus first on the functionality and then if I have time, I try to make it feel cleaner. Many times though, I just get so used to what buttons do what that I don't even recognize how it might be annoying for other folks. I dig it!

Thanks again!
--Josh

It's amazing just how capable a tool like already is but it never hurts to look for ways to make it even better especially for those who are new to game development and may find parts of the UI confusing. During the beta I myself had that issue as it took me way longer then it should have to get the relationship between the frames we setup in the main dialog, setting up the animation types in object details and what we were actually doing in manage animations. Once I had down a way to make it clearer and better, it was time to pitch. Together we all make NESmaker even better and better. :D

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Might also be worth being able to tag the action steps with names since there is all that space. For the player especially, you could put like "stand, walk jump attack" in there so you can easily remember which state was what action when you're creating.

Great ideas, btw. :)

Mihoshi20

TheNew8bitHeroes said:
Might also be worth being able to tag the action steps with names since there is all that space. For the player especially, you could put like "stand, walk jump attack" in there so you can easily remember which state was what action when you're creating.

Great ideas, btw. :)

Oh yeah! Glad you brought that up as I had that in mind but forgot to mention it. When I was running trough project settings I noticed Action Types could be named which is actually enemy AI types, but Action Steps couldn't be named. Very good catch there.

Top Bottom