The Tower of Turmoil

dale_coop

Staff member
CutterCross said:
By popular demand, here's a link to a forum post showcasing how I created these cutscenes!

http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1190

Yeah, that you CuterCross! Very smart ideas in there ;)

CutterCross

Here is the fifth iteration of The Tower of Turmoil!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8HkEnGoUM0

FgDqy3Y.png
YTh0mPD.png
ereUoxC.png
ZoBFV2J.png
U8XZ8Oe.png
TCs2ycj.png

A LOT of stuff has been added/fixed since the last update!

Thanks to jorotroid, the soundtrack FINALLY plays properly! I seriously can't thank him enough, he rocks!

ALL of the floors have been lengthened to 8 rooms long.

There's a new Trampoline tile mechanic set in place, where the player can bounce to new heights!

Fans have been added to the game! They cycle on and off, and blow away the player when he's in range.

The Health power-ups actually give you health now!

I converted the old Pause Menu graphics into an "End of Demo" screen for now, since we can't use any other special screens as of 4.0.11.

A Boss Health meter has been added to the HUD (doesn't currently work, since I need to actually make a boss first!).

Also... I was going to change the Lives mechanic to a Death counter mechanic, but I ran out of space for more HUD assets! Oops...

There's also some minor cosmetic differences, such as Health being changed to Life, the Monster Locks are silver instead of gold, some minor level design changes, etc.

I actually have the last 2 floors done, but I think I'll keep them a surprise for now... ;)

(Also sorry functionalform, I'm not that quick with this stuff!)

Last edited:

Dirk

Your posts and videos are always a highlight, thanks for sharing :)
Trampolines and fans are a great addition!

CutterCross

dale_coop said:
You made my day with this new video, CutterCross <3
How did you do your fans? It's awesome!

The fans themselves actually control a variable which determines if the fan should blow or not. (I used the myKeys variable since I wasn't going to use it for anything else.)

The actual movement comes from 2 new tile types, 1 for each direction (left/right), and are disguised as parts of the background.

FanRightTile:
Code:
	CPX player1_object
    BNE finishedFanRightTile

LDA myKeys
	BEQ finishedFanRightTile

LDA #$00
	SEC
	ADC #$04
	STA Object_h_speed_hi,x

finishedFanRightTile:

FanLeftTile:
Code:
	CPX player1_object
    BNE finishedFanLeftTile

LDA myKeys
	BEQ finishedFanLeftTile

LDA #$00
	SEC
	SBC #$05
	STA Object_h_speed_hi,x

finishedFanLeftTile:

If the player collides with these tiles when myKeys is 0, nothing happens. If the player collides with these tiles when myKeys is 1, they'll move the player right/left respectively.

These aren't perfect however... If you move in the same direction the fan tiles are moving the player in, the extra momentum is negated. So that's something that could be improved.

dale_coop

Staff member
Smart! Didn’t thought it was tiles...
Definitely keeps that bookmarked ;)
Thanks, CutterCross
And good job!

CutterCross

dale_coop said:
Smart! Didn’t thought it was tiles...
Definitely keeps that bookmarked ;)
Thanks, CutterCross
And good job!

The problem is that now that I've put so many mechanics into my game I'm running out of slots for new Tile Types and AI Actions! But my game is almost near completion so hopefully I have enough to work with.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yes quite frustrating... I had the same pbm.
It’s challenging to create a game with all that constraints.

CutterCross

Guys, my player character has more than 3 colors in an 8x8 pixel vicinity...

7g97Toa.png
YyurPlH.png
yv8ea9v.png
e00jtcv.png
63tdV91.png
DcukonV.png

Special thanks to jorotroid for helping me out with this one! Thanks to him I was able to set up a layered sprite for the player's face and give him 6 colors without worrying about color clash! Now the player doesn't look unfinished anymore!

And here's a new video of this system in action!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIZF1BlgaJA

Oh, and I also replaced the unused HUD assets with a new logo!

D5iSA6X.png

Also, this will most likely be the last big update I'm going to post on this subforum before finishing and releasing the game itself. I want the last couple levels and ending to be a suprise! I MIGHT post some smaller updates and some concept art if people are interested however!

Tell me what you guys think!

Last edited:

Dirk

Looks really awesome! Congrats! Great that Jorotroid and you got the layered sprites working :)

CutterCross said:
I MIGHT post some smaller updates and some concept art if people are interested however!

I would love that!

Top Bottom