Labyrinth of Yggdrasil

del inf3rno

Hello fellow nerds! I'm posting to give myself some motivation to continue making this game. I have very little knowledge with programming and found NES Maker about a month ago. Decided to finally dive into it yesterday and this is what I have so far. The fist tile set I made is HEAVILY influenced by a cool NES game called Micro Mages (soon to be released to the public, congrats to them!). I plan on expanding on this style and making it my own but needed a strong template to reference.

The game takes place in a labyrinth on a journey to become an Einherjar (Holy warrior in Norse Mythology). You have died and now must overcome the challenge laid before you to free your soul from this endless abyss and stake your claim with the gods themselves.

My final plans for the game is to make a 2d hack n slash with some LIGHT RPG elements (waiting on that RPG module). Exploration will be handled like a Castlevania/Metroid game. Systemic exploration, meaning to progress to certain areas you need the appropriate skill.

Mechanics I want to implement:
Double Jump
Wall Jump
4 directional melee
4 directional projectile
Push mechanics (enemy and objects)
LIGHT RPG progression - More health, stronger attack - stronger defense etc.

GAMEPLAY

DEMO_111918 DOWNLOAD

45733486_10212184987410846_8979434825203056640_n.jpg

45711712_10212161894953549_5549777077114241024_n.jpg

45750968_10212161894753544_5204796795569307648_o.jpg

45558819_10212161894673542_3658341722691207168_n.jpg

45763770_10212165712088975_7571636655442886656_o.jpg

del inf3rno

quick demo of my character walking in the environment, I want to tweak the jumping and overall movement to be a little slower to give it a larger scale and to make the platforming solid. But this is what I was able to make yesterday.

https://youtu.be/EcuxDdSThRI

Dirk

Looks very cool. I think having such a tiny player is quite charming.
I'm a backer of Micro Mages and find it inspiring too.
The Norse mythology is a great topic and I'm curious hire your game will develope over time and hope you keep us updated :)

del inf3rno

Heres my first demo. VERY basic, I haven't really implemented anything except move and jump. Weird thing happens when the character moves off an edge and when holding right direction the animation for the walk stops. It will start again only if I stop and then move right again. Doesn't have that issue when walking left. Anyway, I made a small easter egg let's see if you guys can find it!

DEMO DOWNLOAD

dale_coop

Staff member
del inf3rno said:
Heres my first demo. VERY basic, I haven't really implemented anything except move and jump. Weird thing happens when the character moves off an edge and when holding right direction the animation for the walk stops. It will start again only if I stop and then move right again. Doesn't have that issue when walking left. Anyway, I made a small easter egg let's see if you guys can find it!

DEMO DOWNLOAD

Oh boy! Thank you del inf3rno for sharing... I will digg’in your Norse world tonight<3

dale_coop

Staff member
Great graphics, the player is a little too slow for me (...but it's a personal taste). It's a very good start, promising!
I will follow your WIP and will enjoy playing & exploring your first level when finished <3

del inf3rno

dale_coop said:
Great graphics, the player is a little too slow for me (...but it's a personal taste). It's a very good start, promising!
I will follow your WIP and will enjoy playing & exploring your first level when finished <3

Thank you very much! The slow walk is a design decision for combat and exploration, hard to see now but think Castlevania pace. Plus did you try holding B to run?

Redherring32 said:
I absolutely love Norse mythology, I can't wait to see where you go with this game!

Yes sir, great subject to base plenty of games on. Look at Valkyrie Profile! Loosely based but still some foundation.

Dirk said:
Looks very cool. I think having such a tiny player is quite charming.
I'm a backer of Micro Mages and find it inspiring too.
The Norse mythology is a great topic and I'm curious hire your game will develope over time and hope you keep us updated :)

Thank you, I hope to keep updating because that would mean I'm making progress! ;)

dale_coop

Staff member
del inf3rno said:
dale_coop said:

Thank you very much! The slow walk is a design decision for combat and exploration, hard to see now but think Castlevania pace. Plus did you try holding B to run?

Yeah I understand... as I wrote it is just a personal taste.
In fact I played the whole exploration holding B :p

del inf3rno

New build with Title screen and small adjustments to jump mechanics thanks to info from the boards. Thank you MistSonata and WolfMerrick. I will update OP with updated versions from now on. My next step would be to include WolfMerrick's double jump code although I will have to do it manually as his files that he posted are no longer available.

DEMO_111018

del inf3rno

I have a small issue with NES screen tool, Well not necessarily the tool but my image's palette is messed up and I dont know how to fix it without manually going in and changing the colors by pixel which I dont feel like doing lol.

Heres a screen of what I am talking about. The highlight and background are swapped on the palette. So what I load the game the start screen has the highlight as the borders if I'm not in windowed mode. I cant just do a fill because that would lose the information for the other color.

45826171_10212184883608251_1140307632335093760_o.jpg

jorotroid

Try going to Patterns>SwapColors. Keep clicking the numbered buttons to say which color slot the currently assign colors should move to.

del inf3rno

jorotroid said:
Try going to Patterns>SwapColors. Keep clicking the numbered buttons until to say which color slot the currently assign colors should move to.

Exactly what I was looking for thank you!

Top Bottom