The Tower of Turmoil

dale_coop

Staff member
CutterCross said:
Special thanks to jorotroid for helping me out with this one! Thanks to him I was able to set up a layered sprite for the player's face and give him 6 colors without worrying about color clash! Now the player doesn't look unfinished anymore!

Awesome! Perfect result <3 how did you do that? Modified the drawsprite script?

Please, share your secret, Mr Magician!

CutterCross

Rob Burrito said:
nice! looking great so far.
Dirk said:
Looks really awesome! Congrats! Great that Jorotroid and you got the layered sprites working :)
functionalform said:
WOW parented sprites! sweet lord you're figuring out just about all the desires people have here.
jsherman said:
This is such an awesome looking game! Keep up the great work!

Responses like these are what keeps me going with this! Thank you, all of you!

dale_coop said:
Awesome! Perfect result <3 how did you do that? Modified the drawsprite script?

Please, share your secret, Mr Magician!
Scythe&GenGames said:
I'm with Dale on this Megaman trickery I have plans for doing this trick as my player may require it

I can't take full credit for this one. Jorotroid is the REAL magician behind this! He might do a full tutorial on how to parent sprites/objects when 4.1.0 comes out.

But yes Dale, it is a modified Sprite PreDraw script, but I had to move it into MainASM.asm to make it all line up properly.

zapposh

Looks wonderful and the music is great too.
Please let us know if you manage to overlay and sync the other sprite layer on the player. I'm looking for exactly the same thing. It's pretty common on the C64.

dale_coop

Staff member
CutterCross said:
I can't take full credit for this one. Jorotroid is the REAL magician behind this! He might do a full tutorial on how to parent sprites/objects when 4.1.0 comes out.

Great work guys! Jorotroid always have good solutions for coding problems <3

CutterCross said:
But yes Dale, it is a modified Sprite PreDraw script, but I had to move it into MainASM.asm to make it all line up properly.

Ok, thought about that. But didn’t had tile to digg into that (and not sure if I would find how to make it work correctly).
Curious to see how jorotroid did... I hope he will make a tutorial about that :)

jorotroid

CutterCross said:
Thanks for the shout-out, CutterCross! You're doing amazing work, and I'm glad I could help a bit to let you keep on doing what you are doing.

dale_coop said:
Curious to see how jorotroid did... I hope he will make a tutorial about that :)
I think I will make a tutorial on the sprite predraw stuff. Maybe I will get to working on that this weekend. Object parenting, on the other hand, I'm still waiting to see how 4.1 will be. I think it should be fine, but I don't want to put out something and then suddenly 4.1 comes out the next day and I have to explain how it's changed. I think the predraw stuff should be fine to explain before 4.1, though.

jorotroid said:
CutterCross said:
Thanks for the shout-out, CutterCross! You're doing amazing work, and I'm glad I could help a bit to let you keep on doing what you are doing.

dale_coop said:
I think I will make a tutorial on the sprite predraw stuff. Maybe I will get to working on that this weekend. Object parenting, on the other hand, I'm still waiting to see how 4.1 will be. I think it should be fine, but I don't want to put out something and then suddenly 4.1 comes out the next day and I have to explain how it's changed. I think the predraw stuff should be fine to explain before 4.1, though.
Well I can make a copy in case it gets updated code is changed in 4.1.0 version

CutterCross

So as I was working on my boss level, I also added something I wanted to make for a while now. A Sound Test menu!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jJ2LQvA2Kk

2Bt4MDG.png

It's a really simple interface. You can change the song number by moving to the next screen to the right or left. The song will play and loop automatically. Right now I only have this set up for music and not SFX.

You'll also get to hear a couple songs I haven't really shown off yet!

Last edited:

CutterCross

Scythe&GenGames said:
What's the Secret? I could add that in in case I have Unused assets and anyone can listen to them and figure why it wasn't in the game....XD

There is no real secret to this. It's just background assets with a different song set for each screen. Nothing more, nothing less.

How clever of you XD - I do wish how the splash screens work as you stated somewhere here that it can work as splash screen too - I haven't figured that out to do that with the megaman styled splash screen with text - if I knew how it was done to tell NESMaker these screens are splash screens for the start screen.

CutterCross

Scythe&GenGames said:
How clever of you XD - I do wish how the splash screens work as you stated somewhere here that it can work as splash screen too - I haven't figured that out to do that with the megaman styled splash screen with text - if I knew how it was done to tell NESMaker these screens are splash screens for the start screen.

I said it was possible to use my cutscene techniques to animate splash screens. Getting them to display before the Start Screen is a different story... Since the Splash Screens would be made from Gameplay Screens, you'd have to somehow skip the Start Screen on boot-up, have it so when the Splash Screen sequence finishes go back to the Start Screen, and then NOT have it skip the Start Screen again. ALSO, you'd have to have it so when the player starts the game, they would be warped to an ACTUAL gameplay screen (or an opening cutscene if you have one set up).

If I knew how to get something like that working I would have shared that by now.

Wow I'm amazed! once again it's another script I wish to add to my games XD then again it's rad you're actually making nes maker feel advanced and improved!

I'm trying to figure it all out - I have the copied script and I'm still confused on making it splash screens then back XD

CutterCross

dale_coop said:
Looks like it works wonderfully!
Congrats CutterCross.
Dirk said:
Very cool :)
Scythe&GenGames said:
Wow I'm amazed! once again it's another script I wish to add to my games XD then again it's rad you're actually making nes maker feel advanced and improved!

I'm trying to figure it all out - I have the copied script and I'm still confused on making it splash screens then back XD
Mihoshi20 said:
Looking good, it's been fun watching this project progress and it's trucking along amazingly well.

Thanks guys! This actually wasn't too hard to set up. Took maybe about 15 minutes to get it working. Sadly I can't use my custom Pause Screen to do this, but this is the next best thing!

Top Bottom