Dimension Shift

dale_coop

Re: Dimension Shift

Post by dale_coop » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Great work. Sounds awesome! Can't wait to see more.
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:11 pm

some features have been missing from dimension shift for a long time now.
it's been quite a while since we demonstrated the 4-directional scroll, but ever since that, not much had been done to it, and it was simply scrolling all the time in every direction, holding the player at the center of the screen.
it worked but limiting it is necessary in order to provide a cleaner looking gameplay, so here's a little sneakpeek of what we came up for that.

this is a WIP and only functions in Y-axis at the moment, but it features locking scroll direction on-the-fly, meaning that we can switch between horizontal only, vertical only, or 4 directional scroll at any given time.
this also features a scroll offset autocorrection that automatically centers the screen if you scroll out of bounds (such as moving in diagonal direction and clipping to an unwanted edge screen.)

so we demonstrated parallax, and i said that we have something more cool to show for that...
whats more cool than parallax you ask?

double parallax of course :)

This is R2 of the Intro stage, as you can see on the video, the entire world map was deleted and we're gonna rework things a little, so only a debug room exists along with the new intro.
we have some neat things stored up for this game, look forward for it :P
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:37 pm

Parallax! Really great work guys! It’s awesome.
i always loved that forest intro level... but now I'd like a full level in that forest!!! with monsters, platforms, death traps,...
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Oh, wow! I'm blown away! That's very awesome!
-----
Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so mistakes are bound to happen.
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:15 pm

dale_coop wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:37 pm
Parallax! Really great work guys! It’s awesome.
i always loved that forest intro level... but now I'd like a full level in that forest!!! with monsters, platforms, death traps,...
the stage will have some monsters in it, but because it's designed to be really short, and purely with aesthetics only in mind, there wont be platforms or other kinds of complicated gameplay elements.
There is simply no space for any graphics anymore.

this will work in a way that the forest part is a short stage with a few simple monsters and at the end of the forest you will jump into a small cavern which will serve as a "tutorial stage" that introduces the player
to the basic mechanics of the game (platforms, wall climbing, warp crystal, collectable items.)

the warp in the tutorial cavern will then take the player to the stage selection.

there are a few things that changed in the basic game design with this rewrite. First and foremost, we are indeed abandoning the open-world concept, and the game will be more of a traditional platformer,
with multiple stages you can play in any order.
Raftronaut

Post by Raftronaut » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:53 pm

i'm blown away, I forget to check this thread for updates for ONE WEEK and you come back with THIS!

Bravo!

Truly Mugi, your progress is inspiring. Thank you for sharing :)
Space Raft 2.0 Demo: [url] http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2867 [/url]

Chiptune: [url] https://soundcloud.com/user-634230995-350638590 [/url]
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 pm

Raftronaut wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:53 pm
i'm blown away, I forget to check this thread for updates for ONE WEEK and you come back with THIS!

Bravo!

Truly Mugi, your progress is inspiring. Thank you for sharing :)
Oh trust me, we still have our work cut out for us with the engine, but as you see, it's getting along.
it feels really nice to be closer to a feature complete engine now, and once we sort out all sort of bugs that keep appearing, and get the object handling back to working state im propably just gonna go ahead and pop a champagne,
because it's been THAT much work to get here. :)
Raftronaut

Post by Raftronaut » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 pm

Totally understand, I dream of the day my game engine is finished and I can sit back and create levels and challenges from the toolbox I've put together.

Still, your technical achievements are so jaw dropping. It's a pleasure following the developments
Space Raft 2.0 Demo: [url] http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2867 [/url]

Chiptune: [url] https://soundcloud.com/user-634230995-350638590 [/url]
misterjosel

Post by misterjosel » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:41 pm

You're turning NESmaker into SNESmaker :shock:
Hit me up if you need FamiTracker songs!! Will work for pixels!! 👾

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/misterjosel
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/misterjosel/
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:36 pm

misterjosel wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:41 pm
You're turning NESmaker into SNESmaker :shock:
funny enough, it's not the first time i've been told it looks like a snes game :P
I dont think it's quite there yet, but it's a good start.