Working Title "Babysitter"

westcoastvagabond

Working Title "Babysitter"

Post by westcoastvagabond » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:41 am

Well, I guess I've done enough watching tutorials, and it's time to get to work! I'm planning to use the Adventure module, and creating something of a survival horror game. My original, pre-NESMaker idea was for each "round" or playthrough to have a semirandomly generated house with a child to watch over while you barricade and defend the house against a randomly selected monster (zombies, masked slasher, etc). Considering the limits of the NESMaker tool, though, I already know this will need to be different.

So, a fixed map it is. Hoping I can get it nice and sandbox-y, but we'll see. Right now, I'm thinking you start in the bedroom that the kid you're watching has just vanished from, and you need to try to find and rescue them. Explore the neighborhood and the town, solve puzzles, fight monsters, win!

I also recently rewatched David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive," and would like to try working in some of that reality-questioning surrealism, and I'm largely picturing an atmospheric and less melodic, almost "Eraserhead" kind of music to accompany it. More triangle wave and noise than square, I'd imagine?

Of course, I'll still need to start at the beginning. Hopefully, I'll be able to make weekly updates to keep myself working. Definitely won't be done in time for Halloween 2019, but maybe I can at least have a really rough demo by then? Time will tell.

...hope I'm not moving in on anyone else's idea.
Death is no barrier to science! :idea:
dale_coop

Re: Working Title "Babysitter"

Post by dale_coop » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:10 pm

Oh wow, I love David Lynch world... so, I can't to see what you will create <3
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
red moon

Post by red moon » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:33 pm

Very cool! I love the idea and cannot wait to see what you come up with. Especially when you combine the visual with the sounds, very exciting!
westcoastvagabond

Post by westcoastvagabond » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:50 am

Well, WedNESday seems like a grand time for a weekly update.

Nothing to show right now; most of the work was on paper or in my head (or hitting my head on the wall). I wanted 16x24 for my character sprite, which was fine on its own but didn't fit in a world of 16x16 tiles as well as I'd hoped. It was requiring 32x16 and 16x32 for door frames, and over half my background was spent on really basic stuff.

But I wasn't able to get my character looking good in 16x16, ended up with 8x16 right now, which is making furniture and backgrounds look terribly out of scale, and rooms downright cavernous. Which means, from a design standpoint, with one room per screen (and one screen per room), my bathroom is the size of a two-car garage. So, I know I'll need to work to incorporate warp tiles, since I won't always have a screen edge to walk up to and cross once I make the rooms more "to scale."

My final problem was, especially when I had a 16x24 sprite, deciding to make the furniture you interact with a NPC (which would save me from worrying about recreating the floor/carpet/etc beneath the bed/whatever) or a background element with an invisible NPC. I still haven't solved that, yet, but I'm leaning towards invisible NPC over background elements, now that giving up 24-pixel height saved me so much background space.

So, maybe some screenshots for next week? Not that I'm proud of my graphics (though my player character would RULE the scene on Intellivision, lol).

PS - not in love with the default text box handling, either, but that is way down the list.
Death is no barrier to science! :idea:
red moon

Post by red moon » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:01 pm

hmm, I would consider viewing looking at the rooms as quadrants of a building and subdividing the space to get better proportion to support the intent of the room.
And limiting some furniture to be interacts is a interesting way of going about it, although the game object count per screen is something to consider when planning what is in each room. A large sprite 16x32 would also help tighten the visual aspects of the levels and increase the furniture sizes which would benefit the small areas like bathrooms and such.
It will be easier to understand once you share a screentest. Good luck, it sounds really cool so far!