Project DART

CutterCross

Got another update. This time all the Options screen features are implemented and working!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XHaGUUXfpE

If you don't like the default red color scheme, there's now an option to change the color palette to whatever color you want! And yes, it carries over to every single screen. I'm super proud of how this turned out!

I also added in an option to view the credits screen. Not as spectacular as some of the other features, but still nice to see implemented. Definitely have to give a huge thanks to everyone featured in there!

Last edited:

CutterCross

I've accomplished something I never though I'd accomplish. I have implemented 7bit PCM playback in a NESmaker game.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXk-DGyIn3I

The description of the video goes over more of the technical stuff, but I put a routine in the Static Bank ($1F) that bankswitches and streams raw 8bit unsigned PCM data directly to the DMC's load counter. (Though the DMC can only load 7 bits at a time.) Since this takes up most of the CPU's resources, it freezes nearly all game logic during the PCM streaming.

I've replaced most of my Overworld/Underworld screen data with PCM data, as well as some unused graphics data and a few empty banks. In total the ROM dedicates ~304 KB to PCM data.

Oh yeah I also implemented a character select screen but come on, raw PCM streaming.

Last edited:

CutterCross

dale_coop said:
Wow... awesome work, CurrerCross.
300ko of PCM data! o_O

Oh I have a lot more samples than the ones shown in the video. Those only take 16 to 32 KB each, but in total they take up around 304 KB. 19 banks full of PCM data!

CutterCross

Quick little addition: The scrolling test in the options menu can now be completely controlled by the player! You can set the scroll rate of the X and Y axes independently, so you can pretty much set it to scroll any direction.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP-r78wLhfM

Not a huge thing I know, but it's one of those fun things I wanted to add.

I'm planning on releasing this game fairly soon, so keep your eyes peeled.

Last edited:

Pauldalyjr

I had to step away from Nesmaker for a while due to other things I had going on, just getting back into it as of a couple weeks ago. This project is absolutely amazing! It is so motivating to see what can be accomplished. All the frustration in learning is well worth it to know something like this is possible. Great job!

davev

I'm interested in this diagonal scrolling. Can you share how you did it? Could you place an object on the foreground, or does everything have to scroll?

Thanks!

CutterCross

I'm interested in this diagonal scrolling. Can you share how you did it? Could you place an object on the foreground, or does everything have to scroll?

Thanks!
The diagonal scrolling here isn't scrolling in the same vein as games like SMB3 or Kirby's Adventure. The same goes for all scrolling in this game. This game only updates the position of the PPU window. It doesn't update the nametable, collision table, or attribute table as it scrolls like most scrolling games do. Thus, the graphics can only wrap-around. For a game like this that's optimal, as it's an infinite runner type game that only needs to repeat the same screen over and over. But for a scrolling platformer or the like this will not get you far.

True diagonal scrolling on the NES (especially with UNROM 512) is one of the most tricky things you could do on the hardware. That isn't to say it can't be done. Mugi's Dimension Shift is a prime example of that, (started as a NESmaker project,) but you really have to know what you're doing to accomplish something like that.

davev

Thanks. I don't need game logic, I just want to make a "cutscene" style animation like this - Because it's not full screen, I imagine PPU scrolling will not work, I'm guessing I would need to do this as an object animation, or maybe by cycling through backgrounds quickly?
screen_2.gif

Basty

Parallax scrolling and 7bit voice samples. Gotta say, quite technical marvels you've done there.

Though can't say game revolving around Battle Toads turbo tunnel is my idea of a good time,
thankfully there aren't those long gap jumps which made players scream in frustration when
game showed that player should have made it but didn't because he missed the jumping platform.

879404_4.jpg

CutterCross

Parallax scrolling and 7bit voice samples. Gotta say, quite technical marvels you've done there.

Though can't say game revolving around Battle Toads turbo tunnel is my idea of a good time,
thankfully there aren't those long gap jumps which made players scream in frustration when
game showed that player should have made it but didn't because he missed the jumping platform.
Thanks, this was a fun one to work on. And to each his own. Battletoads is one of my favorite NES games despite it's sometimes questionable design choices, and I actually enjoy the turbo tunnel. I thought the concept would work nicely as a more of an arcade experience, like an endless runner. Though this was really more just an experimental outlet to test some new stuff out, namely sample playback.

Top Bottom